Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fallen Grace

So many people cling on to the idea of religion as if for dear life. We credit religion for everything that transpires in life, grand or minute. One of the many contradictory aspects of religion is grace. Grace is understood by many to mean undeserved mercy. Grace in my opinion, is equivalent to saying “things could be worse.” I was looking at a talk show. A lady, stabbed 27 times while pregnant, but survived. Now she and her daughter suffer mentally because of such a traumatic experience. They have to live with that awful memory every day. Is that grace? I have two health conditions which are incurable. I was always a health nut, very comfortable and confident with myself. Now, it's one setback after another. I am depressed a lot of the time. Many days I wonder why I did wake up. Life seems such a hassle now...certainly not a present. Is that grace?
There is devastation all around us. Many innocent people suffer the side effects of what we call life: babies born with illnesses, people with lung cancer that have never smoked a day in their life, families losing their fathers, sons, etc. in war just for doing their job. In the same token, the bible depicted many wars, and is one of the most gruesome books ever.
I am personally quite worn from people giving credit to an idea, instead of admitting that life is just a string of spontaneous scenarios, pleasant and unpleasant. People are conditioned to believe that there is a greater power pulling the strings, then throw in the fact of free will. Which is it? Doesn't free will cancel out the idea of someone or something in control?

No comments:

Post a Comment